The alleged mastermind of the October 1, 2010 bombing, Charles Okah has told a Federal High Court in Abuja that he was ready to stand for trial. He said due to the improved condition of the Kuje Prisons in Abuja, his health challenges were over.
Mr. Okah also informed the court that he had suffered gross violation of his fundamental human rights since four years ago that the case was instituted, expressing confidence in the trial judge’s ability to dispense justice in the suit.
He spoke at length after the trial judge, Justice Gabriel Kolawole adjourned the matter to April 23 and 27 for trial.
At the resumed hearing, the prosecuting counsel, Dr. Alex Izinyon, a senior advocate of Nigeria told the court that the matter was adjourned in order to enable the Legal Aid Council of Nigeria to put a legal representation for Okah, following the withdrawal of Mr. Festus Keyamo who had represented Okah in the suit.
Charles, a brother to a former leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, Henry Okah, is being tried alongside Obi Nwabueze for the bomb attack near the Eagle Square in Abuja on the Independence day, 2010.
Henry had been tried and is already serving jail terms in South Africa for the attack in which about 12 persons were said to have died.