The massive resurgence of COVID-19 cases and deaths in Brazil, Turkey and India has prompted the Federal Government to impose fresh measures aimed at preventing the importation of the new coronavirus variants into Nigeria.
The Chairman of the Presidential Taskforce on COVID-19 and Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Mr Boss Mustapha, said in a statement on Sunday in Abuja that the new measures included a ban on entry of non-Nigerian passengers who had travelled to the three countries in the last 14 days.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Brazil, Turkey and India recorded a combined 2,670 deaths as of May 1, 2021.
The data also showed that Brazil recorded 60,013 additional cases and 2,278 new deaths in the last 24 hours.
Turkey recorded 28,817 new cases and 373 new deaths, while India registered 7,801 new cases and 19 new deaths on the same day.
Mr. Mustapha said Nigerians and other permanent residents who had been to these three countries in the last 14 days, would be allowed entry to the country, but must undergo a one-week quarantine in a government-approved facility.
He said the new travel restrictions are in line with Federal Government’s efforts, “to continue to safeguard the health of the Nigerian population, as well as to minimise the risk of a surge in the number of COVID-19 cases in Nigeria.
“Nigerians are strongly advised to avoid any non-essential international travels to any country at this period and specifically to countries that are showing rising number of cases and deaths”, he added.
The number of deaths recorded from the virus in the country has declined recently with only two deaths recorded in the last 18 days.