Due to the prevailing insecurity in Sokoto state, occasioned by armed banditry, Governor Aminu Tambuwal, has approved measures to forestall further spread of violence in the state.
The measures are contained in an Executive Order signed by the governor to take effect immediately in all parts of the state.
A document released by the Commissioner for Information, Isa Bajini, says the Executive Order provides as follows:
1. Immediate total closure of Isa Marnona Road to all motorists until further notice. Travelers plying that road are advised to go through Goronyo-Sabon Birni axis.
2. Lorries/Trucks or other vehicles carrying firewood from the forests are hereby prohibited;
3. Suspension of the sale of all animals at the markets of Gada, Goronyo, Gudu, Ilela, Isa, Kebbe, Sabon Birni, Shagari, Rabah Tambuwal Tangaza, Tureta and Wurno Local Governments Areas;
4. Prohibition of transportation of cattle using trucks/lorries in Gada, Goronyo, Gudu, Illela, Isa, Kebbe, Sabon Birni, Shagari, Rabah Tambuwal Tangaza, Tureta and Wurno Local Governments Areas;
5. Prohibition of carrying 3 persons on motorcycles and more than 3 passengers on a tricycle throughout the State;
6. Prohibition of the sale of second-hand motorcycles at Gada, Goronyo, Gudu, Ilela, Isa, Kebbe , Sabon Birni, Shagari, Rabah Tambuwal Tangaza, Tureta, Achida, Gande, Gwadabawa and Wurno Markets;
7. Prohibition of operation of commercial tricycles and motorcycles from 10:00 pm to 6:00 a.m in the State Capital, and 6:00 p.m 6:00 a.m in Gada Goronyo, Gudu, Gwadabawa, Illela, Isa, Kebbe, Sabon Birni, Shagari, Rabah Tambuwal Tangaz, Tureta and Wurno Local Governments Areas;
8. Prohibition of the sale of petrol in jerrycans at filling stations;
9. Only designated Filling stations are allowed to sell petrol and diesel of not more than N5,000.00 to motorists in Gada, Goronyo, Gudu, Ilela, Isa, Kebbe, Sabon Birni, Shagari, Rabah, Tambuwal Tangaza, Tureta and Wurno Local Governments Areas
10. Only authorized essential workers (health personnel, security personnel and Joumalists) could use tricycles and motorcycles beyond the banned periods.
Governor Tambuwal, urges the people to adhere to the provisions of the order, which is passed after wide consultation with all Stakeholders and constituted authorities as well security and law enforcement agencies.
The Government has taken the measure out of the need to introduce additional countervailing measures in the affected areas in order to contain the banditry and mitigate the damages it is causing to social and economic activities and preserve peace.